Part time jobs in Malaysia

Explore Malaysia with Truematics

Although the Malaysian Government does allow International Students to work for a limited time during their studies in Malaysia, International Students are advised not to depend solely on this to support their entire studies in Malaysia. The small income derived from the part time work is merely to supplement their pocket money.

Guidelines for part-time work for Non-Malaysian students:

Beginning 15 February 2005, Non-Malaysian students are allowed to work part-time, subject to the terms and conditions below.

Non-Malaysian students are allowed to work on a part-time basis during semester breaks, festive holidays or more than seven days of holiday for a maximum of 20 hours a week.

Non-Malaysian students are permitted to work in restaurants, petrol kiosks, mini markets and hotels except in the following positions: cashier, singer, masseur, musician, Guest Relations Officer or any activity deemed to be immoral.

Students wishing to work must have a valid "Student Pass"

Application process for approval of part-time work

1. Non-Malaysian students who intend to work part-time in Malaysia, must submit:

- - A photocopy of their passport (pages containing information of the bearer and the valid Student Pass pages)
- - Address, Contact number and letter from the prospective employer
- - RM120.00 (Non returnable processing fee)

2. The application to work part-time must be forwarded by the representative of the Educational Institution, in the presence of the student at the Immigration Department Headquarters Malaysia. The University must provide a supporting letter allowing the Non-Malaysian student to work, and which includes the dates of the semester breaks.

3. Students will be interviewed, after which the application will be either approved/declined.

4. The passport of students whose application has been approved will be endorsed accordingly.

The Director General of Immigration Malaysia has the right to approve or reject any Non-Malaysian student's application to work under section 9 (1) (a) Immigration Act 1959 / 1963 Amendment 2002.

The University is required to forward the student's academic progress report every 3 months and to report students who do not attend classes, to the Immigration Department for further action.

The extension of the approval to work will only be given if the student maintains good academic achievement. The University must be informed immediately of any change to employment.
Enquire us
What our students speak about Truematics: