Belgium student visa guidelines

Explore Belgium with Truematics

If you are a citizen of a country that does not belong to the EU, you may need a student visa to gain entry to Belgium. Students from some countries (such as the US) are not required to obtain a visa for Belgium if their stay is no longer than 90 days.

Before applying for a student visa for Belgium, you first need to be accepted onto a course at an accredited educational institution, and pay the registration fees.

Documents required for belgium student visa:

  • A completed and signed visa application form (you may need to bring more than one)

  • A passport or similar travel document valid for more than 12 months.

  • Proof that you have sufficient financial income or support for the duration of your stay. This must cover your healthcare, living, study and accommodation costs as well as the cost of your return ticket. This can be in the form of a certificate stating you have received a grant or scholarship, an agreement of financial responsibility from your sponsor, or your personal bank statement showing sufficient funds.

  • A medical certificate stating you dont carry any diseases that may endanger public health (such as TB, diseases that require quarantine and other infectious diseases)

  • A police certificate of good conduct confirming that you don�t have any prior convictions (if you are aged over 21).

  • Student visa requirements for Belgium also include proof of your student status and study plans. For this, you may need:

  • Proof of registration at a recognized higher education institution in Belgium (must cover a full-time course of study, suggesting that the candidates main activity in Belgium is studying)

  • Application for an equivalence certificate for a diploma or certificate conferred abroad (only required for French Community education) Original and certified copy of your diploma, certificate or baccalaureate from your secondary education, and the academic record from your last year of secondary education

  • Copy of all diplomas and certificates obtained since the end of your secondary education.

  • An employers statement underlining the necessary for you to pursue higher education as part of your work (more likely to apply to postgraduate students)

  • Documentation giving a brief description of the courses organized by your institution of choice, with a short explanation comparing those courses to courses organized in your country of origin

  • All documents in a language other than German, French, English or Dutch must be translated by a sworn translator, legalized as a separate document in your country of origin, and legalized again by the Belgium consulate or embassy.

  • Enquire us
    What our students speak about Truematics: